On Monday, we reported that nearly two-thirds of radio P1’s think the station they listen to most is “a lot better” than other stations. Today, we check out what makes it a lot better…

Of those who told us their P1 station is “a lot better than other stations” (as we reported on Monday, 64% of P1’s), we asked:

What are the three most important things that make [station you listen to most] a lot better than other stations? Please click a 1 by the most important reason, a 2 by the second most important reason and a 3 by the third most important reason. 

We gave them six choices. And remember, we inserted the actual name of the stations respondents entered as the one they listen to most into the question, not the generic “station you listen to most.”

Unsurprisingly, music is dominant as the most important reason making their station a lot better:

RANK 1: “MOST IMPORTANT”
MUSIC 61%
OVERALL ATTITUDE AND VIBE                . 11%
PEOPLE   9%
INFORMATION   9%
TALK SHOWS   9%
CONTESTS   2%

But that still leaves a sizable minority that doesn’t make music #1.

Among them, of course, are News/Talk P1’s (51% of them name talk shows, followed by 22% naming information) and Sports P1’s (29% information, with people and talk shows close behind tied at 27%).

But many music format P1’s name other factors. For example, 56% of  CHR P1’s rank music first…still their #1, but lowest among the music formats and leaving their remaining 44% for other factors.

Keep in mind that this does NOT mean that music is less important for CHR P1’s as a reason for listening, compared to other formats! The issue we’re probing is different — what makes the station you listen to most “a lot better” than others.

At the other extreme, music is by far the #1 differentiator for Gold/Classic P1’s (at 84%) and Rock P1’s (82%).

Beyond music, what stands out most is stations’ overall attitude and “vibe.” Personalities also come up strongly as a #2 reason, and of course they (along with music) contribute to stations’ attitude:

RANK  2: “SECOND MOST IMPORTANT”
OVERALL ATTITUDE AND VIBE 38%
PEOPLE 24%
MUSIC 14%
INFORMATION 12%
TALK SHOWS   8%
CONTESTS   4%

Rock P1’s are most into attitude as a #2 reason, at 60%. Among music format P1’s, A/C fans are lowest, at 20%.

Finally, people on the station are on top as the #3 reason:

RANK 3: “THIRD MOST IMPORTANT”
PEOPLE                  . 31%
OVERALL ATTITUDE AND VIBE               . 24%
INFORMATION 21%
TALK SHOWS   9%
CONTESTS   8%
MUSIC   7%

This bar chart puts it all together for 18-64’s P1’s overall.  The total length of each bar reflects the sum of mentions as the #1, #2 or #3 reason for thinking their station is a lot better than others.  The blue portion represents #1, the red #2 and the green #3:

chart v1.7

 

So, what’s the bottom line???  Sure, music is king for most formats. If  a music station’s music isn’t right for you, the other stuff isn’t going to matter in most cases.

But more than half rate their P1 station’s ATTITUDE and PEOPLE among the top three reasons why their station is better than others. And that tells us a station’s level of preference isn’t just about music…it’s music and more. It’s what can make the winning difference for one CHR station versus another, one Country station versus another, etc., etc.

Come back on Friday. We’ll get into station’s relationship with their P1’s.